This month, the City of Hamilton is sharing safety tips with motorists, cyclists and pedestrians about pedestrian crossovers. As part of the joint Vision Zero Action Plan, this education campaign is focused on transforming roadway safety with a simple goal: zero fatalities or serious injuries on roadways.
Pedestrian crossovers allow for pedestrians to easily and safely cross the road. By law, drivers and cyclists must stop and yield to pedestrians intending to cross the road and wait for them to completely reach the other side before proceeding.Motorist and cyclist tips
• Pay attention to your surroundings.
• Watch for pedestrians who would like to cross the road.
• Stop for pedestrians at the marked yield bar.
• Allow the pedestrian to cross the entire width of the road before proceeding.
• Drive or cycle with caution once the road is clear.
• Do not pass any other vehicle within 30 metres before a pedestrian crossover. Pedestrian tips
• Use caution and avoid distraction while using the crossover.
• Make sure the driver or cyclist has enough time to stop before you begin to cross.
• Make it clear to the driver or cyclist that you intend to cross.
• If there is a push button at the crossing, press it to activate the flashing lights.
• Cross when traffic has come to a complete stop and you feel it’s safe.
To learn about the different types of pedestrian crossovers in Hamilton, visit: hamilton.ca/pedestriancrossovers
Please see the pdf document below for more details.