Destiny Discover
We Are Hiring

The Great Big Crunch returns

On your mark, get set, CRUNCH.

To promote healthy eating, Tastebuds is inviting students and staff throughout Hamilton to take a “Great Big Crunch” out of locally grown apples.

The Great Big Crunch is a simple concept. On Thursday, March 9, 2023, students at participating schools will gather together in classrooms, gymnasiums or hallways, each with a crisp, juicy apple in hand generously donated by Drummond Farms. After a countdown, everyone will bite into their apples simultaneously, making a great big “crunch!” Whether the school participates in additional nutritional and educational activities or just one great big crunch, students get to celebrate healthy, local food with their community.

About Tastebuds
Every school day, Tastebuds student nutrition programs in your ward serve nutritious meals and snacks at schools and community sites. These programs benefit children, youth, families and neighbourhoods in your ward.

Tastebuds programs are universal. That means that ALL students are welcome to participate, regardless of their economic backgrounds.

This school year (2022-23), Tastebuds supports 118 programs at 106 locations. Every day, over 20,000 students access our nutrition programs, on average.

These programs receive funds from the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services, but only 15% of the total food cost. The remaining 85% of the total daily food cost per breakfast, morning meal or snack is paid for by parental contributions, school fundraising efforts and charitable contributions from community partners, which is critical for program stability. Programs are run by school staff, parents and volunteers.

The Great Big Crunch returns